Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 4 20:14:34 CEST 2013

On Fri 04 October 2013 19:48:19 Bob Ham wrote:
> You've previously said that the reason you refuse to release the
> hardware source files, making the device more "open", is because you
> expect money in return.  Are you now saying restricting access to the
> hardware source files is somehow a "design decision"?

Refuse? RESTRICTING access? Honestly guys, what are you thinking we are doing
here? Does Nikolaus owe you something (more) since he already gave you more
than anybody else usually does?
This is a project as open as defined by the author, thus everything that's not
open/free is not open/free, and everything offered to the community as CCbyCA
or whatever is a gift to community, with no liabilities whatsoever arising
from that for the one donating it. Period. End of discussion. Do we have to
feel bad about the decision not to disclose project files? Definitely NOT! May
you _ask_ why they don't get disclosed? Sure. But don't _question_  the answer
you get, and don't even complain when you get no answer at all either.

You're not entitled to anything.
NOBODY needs project files to use this product and make the most of it, in any
way you like. You get schematics and component placement and technical manual
and datasheets. And on reasonable request GolDeliCo probably will even hand
out layout as a number of pdf files, so you could check whether it's possible
to drill a hole at pos X-Y into PCB. That's it. Be happy or get over it.

jOERG
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)