The "open hardware" phone project that's had the most interest

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 5 17:25:02 CEST 2013

Am 05.10.2013 um 17:14 schrieb Pascal Gosselin:

> On 2013-10-05 11:06 AM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Pascal Gosselin <pascal at aeroteknic.com> wrote:
>>> If technically feasible
>> That's the problem.
>>
> What immediately jumps to my mind is the small number of pins for the modules, forcing everything to be based on serial interfaces.

Look at what MIPI.org has defined since 10 years. Display, Camera, Modem are all serial interfaces to use less wires. But nobody (not Apple or Samsung or HTC or Motogoogle or Micronokiasoft) has done a modular device.

> It's probably not realistic to be able to change a CPU module that way for example.  Dicy for a camera module too.   But for tons of other I/O applications, I think it's quite feasible.
>
> The guy behind this seems hesitant to bring it to Kickstarter. Maybe he's got VC plans instead.  Maybe he has no plans... !

I would assume that his plan is to get publicity for his person. Not for the project.

Promise people infinite life or flying to the moon and they will follow...

-- hns