Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 5 17:42:54 CEST 2013

Am 05.10.2013 um 14:14 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 14:07 +0200, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
>
>> I can agree that the usage of "free
>> hardware" term may be a bit confusing.
>
> Describing the GTA04 as "Open Hardware" on openphoenux.org is, I
> believe, not just confusing but dishonest.

Ok, what would be a better wording for a well documented hardware
so open in documentation that everyone can write and install any
free and open operating system he/she likes?

I.e. there is no documentation hidden voluntarily that is needed to
reach this goal (you don't need Gerber files to make Linux, OpenBSD,
whatever work).

Maybe the usual distinction made between "Open" and "Free" software
holds here as well?

"Open" does not necessarily mean "Free(dom)". But "open" is definitively
the opposite of "closed".

So what is wrong with describing it as "Open Hardware" on
openphoenux.org?

-- hns