Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Oct 5 20:18:06 CEST 2013

On Sat 05 October 2013 19:37:59 Bob Ham wrote:
> > Hm, I wonder what you want to prove?
>
> I want you to stop describing the GTA04 as open hardware.  You seem to
> be aware that there is a difference between what you describe as "open
> hardware" and what others describe as "open hardware" and yet you ignore
> this discrepancy and continue as if what you're saying is true because
> it accords with your own personal definition.
>
> I want to make it undeniably clear that describing the GTA04 as "open
> hardware" is wrong.

According to your own personal definition.

> What you're doing is nothing to do with open hardware.  The idea that
> you can pop some schematic bitmaps in the back of your manual while
> refusing access to the source files, and then rightfully label your
> company's product as "open hardware" is fallacious.
>
> Please stop labelling your company's product as "open hardware".

I seems that all your quotations and arguments refer to some form of licence
finally. You can't request anybody who's disclosing his sourcecode to refrain
from calling it "open source" as long as s/he's not claiming it adheres to a
certain licence like e.g. GPL.
Same applies to calling a hardware "open hardware" as long as it doesn't claim
to adhere to whatever open-hardware-licence (and heck, there are so many
diferent licences like there are different open-hardware projects out there,
see the wili pages you quoted).

Bottom line: when GolDeliCo's definition of "open hardware" doesn't meet yours,
there's hardly anything you can do about it. I suggest you just check the
particular project's licencing to find out about the details of "open" just
like you have to do with every arbitrary other "open hardware" project.

cheers
jOERG
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)