Kickstarter: Open Source Graphics Processor (GPU)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 12 18:43:39 CEST 2013

Am 09.10.2013 um 22:29 schrieb Raphael Wimmer:

> Sounds interesting (in the long term):
>
> "Complete Verilog implementation of a 2D/ 3D graphics processor capable of OpenGL and D3D w/ full test suite"
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/725991125/open-source-graphics-processor-gpu

Oh, yes. That is what we need for our next generation Open Source "OMAP" chip!

> Should work with both Altera and Xilinx FPGAs
> Goals: $200k for 2D, $400k for 3D, ...

Well, $400k for 3D looks a little difficult to achieve, and 2D only can be done by any standard CPU quite quickly?

> It currently has only a PCI interface, however.

Well, by their open source nature it can be changed (by anyone experienced enough and having access to work with Verilog).

The main fear I have is that there is not enough funding because nobody can really use it in daily
work without investing another lots of money (to integrate the FPGA with something).

BR,
Nikolaus