Kickstarter: Open Source Graphics Processor (GPU)

Joerg Eesmann jeesmann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 13 01:46:55 CEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 21:49 +0300, Balint Szente wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:31:13 +0200
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone experience with the Zynq-7000? It has dual Cortex A9 with
> > VFP/Neon - but apparently lacks a GPU... Such a combination could be
> > comparable with OMAP3/4 in computation power.
>
> Exactly, it has just a simple framebuffer. Even a basic 2D accelerator
> would be a huge improvement to save the ARM CPU power.
>
> I consider this GPU very useful for the Parallella board for example.
> <http://www.adapteva.com/products/parallella/parallella/>
> The GPU would stay in the Zynq-7020, so the Epiphany chip can do
> other dedicated tasks (numerical calculus, simulations, whatever).

Hi, I have experience with Zynq 7020. The Processor is Cortex-A9 with up
to 800Mhz (usually 667MHz) If you take 7045 or 7100, you get up to 1GHz,
but then you to buy licence for developing FPGA. For 7020 Xilinx tool
chain is for free.
My guesses are, for an actual phone to few processing power, for 3d
acceleration, the FPGA may be too small. But for a geek phone, FPGA gets
you much freedom...
br
Joerg