First small steps toward free GSM firmware

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Wed Oct 16 21:30:29 CEST 2013

> > Afaik you can use it legally if you connect it directly to your own base
> > station.
>
> If you connect it by shielded cable or if you place both in a big shielded box.
> I.e.  if the spurious emissions stay below some defined level and don't disturb

If you can demonstrate you know what you are doing, and use the 900mhz amatuer radio band in the US, you are fine.

http://blog.marinetelecom.net/2010/08/01/ham-radio-operator-chris-paget-kj6gcg-spoofs-as-900mhz-gsm-tower-and-15-phones-in-defcon-hacker-convention-log-onto-his-network/

The other approach would be to start a kickstarter/selfstarter to buy some spectrum licenses, and permit ONLY devices that have debian-free-software guidelines compliant firmware to transmit on those frequencies.