Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Sep 25 22:54:41 CEST 2013

On Wed 25 September 2013 21:32:13 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 25.09.2013 um 20:45 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

> Production problems show almost immediately, even if there is only one
> person. And they show after making let's say 20 units. I.e. it does not
> need to produce let's say 1000 units to find real production problems. And
> if you produce 1000 and find that 5 are bad, you don't worry as much as if
> you have 2 bad in 20.

Yield of 995/1000? Amazing!! A Yield of 950/1000 is already considered good.
That's what PV runs (and later on production QA) are for, to determine and (if
necessary) improve, and sustain your production yield. No users needed for
that. Actually it would be a very poor idea to ship PV devices without tests
to users and hope for them to find the "lemons".

> > Also, if you can upgrade the screen and the CPU separately, you might
> > attract a few other users, who aren't so interested in Freedom but do
> > like the idea of customizing their phones.
>
> That is a dream that is not realistic. Every display has a different
> connector (there is no standardization!). And every CPU has different
> signals and power supply needs. I.e. you can swap an OMAP3505 for an
> OMAP3530
> or an DM3730 but nor for an OMAP4 or OMAP5 or Snapdragon or i.MX6.
> Because they are not designed for this way of use.

Layman's idea of modularization, which never will fly in embedded. All the real
progress made in embedded been based on new interfaces that were smarter and
faster and smaller than the previously used ones. So it's like saying "if
Industry PC Standard Architecture had used a standardized interface (like ISA)
then Pcs had evolved faster and were cheaper than they are today". Actually it
needed PCI since ISA wasn't appropriate for the next generation of hardware
technology. Same with embedded chips, just there you have like 5 duzen
interfaces, and most chips have more than one interface, SoCs have like 20 of
them.

/j
-
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)