Focus of development [was: IMEI changing kit for GTA02]

Nick openmoko-community at njw.me.uk
Wed Feb 19 11:31:16 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:55:05AM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I use my GTA02 FR as my daily phone, running a SHR from 2012. I have no
> other cellphone (if I do not count the Nokia of my son or the Nokia of
> my wife), i.e. I _highly_ depend on working phone features (call, SMS).
> And IMHO this should be our primary focus for an OpenSource cellphone,
> because my FR sometimes fails in accepting calls, often fails in
> receiving SMS, not always works up from suspend, the people I call are
> blaming me for my poor voice, etc.

I'd recommend you give qtmoko a try. I used to run SHR, but have
found qtmoko more reliable. It still occasionally screws up (failing
to unsuspend [though this looks like it's fixed in the new version],
and once failing to make outgoing calls), but in general it's a
pretty good experience. Plus it's actually maintained.

> Maybe others have other focus, because they use whatever iPhone or
> Android for phone features and are more interested in such hacks. I do
> not (without underestimating the intelectual work).

This has always been a community interested in hacks ;)