testing the free calypso software

David Matthews mail at dmatthews.org
Mon Jan 27 21:44:15 CET 2014

Hi Giacomo

To clarify, there are two methods. The method I describe requires a cable as you run loadtools on your PC. The method Norayr describes does not need a cable as loadtools is run on the freerunner.

It was and is my intention to produce an sdcard distro that allows either method. The cable is not expensive though if you don't want to wait a month or so.

As for risk - as has been said, if the worst comes to the worst, there are the two methods on the wiki to fall back on. I've flashed the calypso to leo2moko, back to moko11 and back to leo2moko again using the cable / loadtools on PC method. I'm so confident about this (with wheezy on the PC) that I even proceeded with an attempted flash by the other method *after* seeing loadtools report fail with the backup routine. I'd propose that as a good indicator - if you can't run the backup routine successfully, don't proceed with a flash attempt.

It's likely my failure with the loadtools on freerunner / no cable method was because my sdcard distro has an ancient kernel. Obviously loadtools has not been widely tested yet, but I'd say there is zero risk with cable method and wheezy on the PC and I'd be very surprised if that does not apply to all recent and current versions of Gnu/Linux.
--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org