[ot] Pi-Phone or blackberry-pi ?

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Sun Jun 22 22:34:59 CEST 2014

On 06/22/2014 02:15 PM, Ed Kapitein wrote:

> Some of the reasons to build a phone myself were:
>
> -1 because you can ;-)
> -2 the pi is made in large quantities and has a big community.
> -3 up-to-date kernel
> -4 huge collection of programs in the raspbian repository.
>
> I hope it inspires someone to build a better model, smaller and with a
> better battery life.

Interesting. BTW, i would recommends to use any recent 3G modem instead
of Arduino gsm shield. Some pros and cons:

 1. Cheaper (you can find one for something like 5-15USD on local auctions)
 2. Supports recent data (HDSPA+, etc.) connectivity as well as SMS and
    Voice
 3. Voice functionality already integrated with Asterisk (chan_dongle),
    so easy to integrate with any VoIP software and hardware
 4. Can be unplugged any time and used as 3G dongle if needed :)

I am using this configuration (raspberry + chan_dongle + modem) as
outgoing gateway to the mobile network. If i need this dongle as backup
ISP connection i am just unplugging it and all traffic goes via backup
SIP link :)