GTA02 broken screen / What Nice Projekts to Do Without a Screen or Would Other Screens Work

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Wed May 7 20:46:18 CEST 2014

On 05/07/14 14:46, Francesco De Vita wrote:
>> You could use the freerunner as a SMS gateway, you don't need a screen
>> for that.
>> That is something i use, i can send a text message and perform some action
>> (switching lights on or off )
>> Or have a text message send to my other phone if a long running job is
>> done.
> Would you like to explain how do you do that? (:
>
> Regards
> Francesco

Sure,

A while ago i wrote a daemon that handles the GSM modem ( phone calls
and text messages )
The gui is separate  from the daemon and can be run on a remote
computer. ( desktop, laptop, whatever )
The daemon listens on stdin and sends output to stdout, so you can use
it without a screen at all.

You need to flash the root image and the kernel and after that you can
login via ssh trough USB.
After you set up your wlan, you can ssh in and read and send text
messages etc.

If you think this is something you would like to try, please let me
know, so i can provide you with the kernel and the rootfs image for you
to flash.
You need to write some scripts to fit everything to your needs, so i
hope you have some scripting skills.

Kind regards,
Ed