[QtMoko] GSM not turning on / registering

Nick openmoko-community at njw.me.uk
Tue May 20 04:58:05 CEST 2014

Alright, I'll go to a T-Mobile shop (or reseller) in the next few
days to get a test SIM.

In the meantime, I tried running the AT commands with socat, but
didn't get very far. Maybe I'm using socat incorrectly - I haven't
done it before, so forgive my ignorance. Following is the transcript
from my console session (done over ssh from my laptop):

root at neo:~# socat - file:/dev/ttySAC0,crtscts,crnl
~
+CREG: 3
 ~~
ERROR
@~~
%CSQ:  18, 99, 2
 ~~
+CIEV: 1, 3
 ~AT+COPS=?
ATE1
~
%CSQ:  15, 99, 1
 ~~
+CIEV: 1, 2
 ~AT+CFUN=1
AT+CGMI

The commands 'AT+COPS=?', 'ATE1', 'AT+CFUN=1', 'AT+CGMI' were
entered by me. I'm guessing I should have seen at least a 'OK' or
'ERROR' message, so maybe I'm using socat incorrectly?

I don't have a 3G USB modem, unfortunately.

I'm pretty surprised that the carriers are decommissioning 2G in the
USA. Crazy bastards.

Thanks for your continued help.

Nick