[FOSS-GPS] Releasing FoxtrotGPS 1.2.0--translations needed

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Oct 9 20:10:24 CEST 2014

Marc Verwerft <marc.js.verwerft at gmail.com> writes:

> Since we're on, this topic, I have another question/issue.
>
> I noticed that in the translation there are a few lists (separated by
> the pipe character) that in English are nicely alphabetically sorted.
>
> What is the preferred approach for translation? When we translate to different
> languages, the list is not sorted anymore. Should we just translate and not
> care about the sorting? Or can we sort our translations?

That's a very good point.

Unfortunately, the code that uses those currently needs them to remain
in a consistent order regardless of how ugly it makes the lists;
so you need to just translate them so that they remain in the same
order even if they're not alphabetised in your language  :(

> In other words do these lists have 'hardcoded' links to the implementation of
> the functionality of each item?

Yes. The numeric index/position of a selected item in the list
is what's stored in the POI database; so if if you re-order the items
to keep them alphabetic, then switching between languages will mean
that all of your POIs get assigned completely different categories,
for example.

If you file a bug in Lauchpad <https://bugs.launchpad.net/foxtrotgps>,
we can try to find a fix for the next release (probably 1.3.0).

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."