Free phone: smart or not?

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 08:00:34 UTC 2015

On 17-3-2015 2:49, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> But the FR's hardware is too limited for that
>    in my experience (e.g. the screen is too small for a resistive
>    touchscreen), and the software is not reliable enough.
I think, with the constraints of the FR case, a resistive touchscreen is
the best option. The touch-resolving resolution of a capacitive screen
would be much lower, and an inductive (what generic category would you
give Wacom?) screen would not permit you to use a finger(nail) or a
pencil laying around.

I got a phone from my employer (besides my GTA04) now, which has a large
capacitive screen. It can show more information at once, but I hate
typing or making selections on it.

To stay a bit on topic: my FR was my only phone until it was reborn as
an OpenPhoenux. Both are in my top 2 of favourite phones :-)

The smartness of the phone is important. If I were to take a silly phone
with me, I'd wish it to be about as big as a bluetooth earpart, smart
enough to understand most of the commands I speak to it and dial the
number from the address book when I say so. In that case it wouldn't
even need a screen or numeric buttons.

Best regards,

Boudewijn