CMOS battery replacement

Andrew Schenck andrew at springahead.com
Tue Dec 22 01:35:33 UTC 2015

On 12/19/2015 9:27 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 12.12.2015 um 03:06 schrieb Benjamin Deering <ben_deering at jeepingben.net>:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:38:54 -0800
>> Andrew Schenck <andrew at springahead.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the
>>> info though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix
>>> the USB port and GPS port at the same time.
>>>
>>> -Andrew

> The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
> in ~2011.
>
> Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
> a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
> enabled.
That's good to know.  I had foolishly assumed that the GTA04 used the
same solution as the GTA02.

> So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
> "resets" to 1st Jan 2000.
I'm using Radek's last QtMoko, v56  for GTA04, kernel
3.7.0-gta04-qtmoko-v56.  The RTC *does* reset to 1 Jan 2000 0:00 but I'm
at UTC -8:00 so it becomes Dec 31, 1999 16:00.   If I could trigger the
tpw65950 manually via console every once in a while that would be fine
enough.

Thanks,
-Andrew