Openmoko IMEI survey

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Aug 26 06:17:32 UTC 2017

On Fri 18 August 2017 15:12:21 Mychaela Falconia wrote:
>  simple logic says that at least 980000 numbers
> out of Openmoko's IMEI range must be still unused, and thus potentially
> usable for new production of GTA02 verbatim clones and/or FCDEV3B
> boards which are just the modem part of the GTA02.

Why would you want to abuse OpenMoko IMEIs in an illegal way, instead of
arbitrary other larger manufacturer, for a series of phones not built and not
in use anymore?

You're not owning those IMEIs (they need to be purchased/rented), for OM it
would be illegal and punishable to support or invite you to use them in the
way you plan to. And you're exposing OpenMoko device owners to public scrutiny
by hijacking and abusing this particular IMEI range, possibly resulting in the
whole IMEI range getting blacklisted on carriers.

@community: It's generally considered a poor idea to disclose your devices'
IMEIs and particularly in this case you should think twice before you do.
I strongly suggest to use Nokia's 2110 IMEI range instead, or some other
similar zombie IMEI range for Motorola or whatever.
For Falconia there's not a single benefit from using OM IMEI for that illegal
purpose.

Best Regards
jOERG
--