L10N, where to get sources

Evgeny Ginzburg Nad.Oby at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:09:10 CEST 2008

Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Thursday 07 August 2008 17:01:15 Evgeny Ginzburg wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> I'm interested in L10N for Freerunner (can translate to Russian & Hebrew)
>> The primary problem to me is to get sources of all Openmoko related progs.
>
> Cool. There is no common infrastructure for this yet. We could consider using
> something like rosetta of ubuntu/canonical, a free translation project.

I don't have enough experience in translation, so can not consider which
tool will be better.
It works also with vim and mailing files to developer.
There was discussions last year at community list and rozetta & potool
was suggested. Further research needed.
I think ideally it have to be CSM-alike system with online and ofline
editing capability, can we build something similar based on openmoko trac?

> I think the status for the parts:
> 	- 2007.2 and FSO will use gettext (.po) but might not be aware of l10n (the
> usual errors when starting to think about i18n/l10n)

Now in FSO there is only Zhone and I don't think translating testing GUI
will help somebody

> 	- I assume EFL/E17/illume uses gettext as well

Yes, illume already have fr.po file :-)

> 	- Qtopia/Qt has it's own format and tools (linguist)

I'll take a look

> Would you be interested in heading a i18n/l10n group? This would include:
> 	- Picking infrastructure to get translators the strings
> 	- Picking on devs not using gettext and pointing them to docu and how to
> rewrite the strings to be translatable

I don't think I'm the right person for heading L10N group, but lets
start something and people will come.
I have list of people interested in Openmoko translation, scratched from
  wiki and maillist archives.
I'll mail them all offlist asking to participate in discussion here.

> I can help you to get .po and .ts files for ASU, but we should do it in a
> systematic way so we can do this reliable and also taking upstream projects
> like enlightenment into account.

I'll happily translate ASU to ru_RU & he_IL

Regards, Evgeny