qemu and kernel GTA02 emulator support

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:59:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

2008/8/8 Sébastien BRICE <seb at so-sweet.org>:
> hi Please, how dealing with GTA02 emulation ?
> when refering to the  qemu-neo1973/openmoko/README file , content seems
> out-to-date and refers to a old way using git-cogito for building a
> vanilla patched kernel with linux-gta02-pseudo.patch.
> That's  still effective ? :
>
>    This directory contains files used for OpenMoko which are not qemu
>    code but are in some way related or useful to have at hand.
>    The kernel patch with GTA02fake support is based on:  * "andy"
>    branch of the OpenMoko kernel git at around 2.6.26-rc1.
>    The following sequence can be used to obtain a working tree on which the
>    patch can be applied:
>
>    cg-clone git://git.openmoko.org/git/kernel.git#andy
>    cd kernel
>    cg-switch -r fbfbc5130075e233f2fd2613e2897c3c4ed4bc7f gta02fake
>    cg-patch -c -e "GTA02-psuedo support." < ../linux-gta02-pseudo.patch
>
> On the top of that i can't find out a proper way to enable
> paravirtualisation.

On top of that it should be enough to pass -M gta02fake to qemu
instead of -M gta01 and possibly -kernel
openmoko/kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage.  However it's not very useful in
the current state because the openmoko/flash.sh script hasn't been
updated to support gta02 flash layout, partially because I was seeing
an issue with u-boot being unable to read the flash and had no time to
dig into it yet.

Werner mentioned on IRC that he had some success emulating a gta02.

There's a question of why you would need to emulate gta02, almost
everything that's useful can be done on the gta01 too.

Regards