L10N, where to get sources

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:10:25 CEST 2008

2008/8/7 Evgeny Ginzburg <Nad.Oby at gmail.com>:
> 1) 2007.2 - GTK+ based progs originally developed by Opened Hand
> 2) ASU - ELF based stack, including E17 & frends developed by Carlsten
> "Rasterman" Holger, Openmoko employee.
> 3) FSO - dbus-centric framework with testing GUI (don't know if it worth
> translating) developed group of Openmoko employees
> 4) Programms ported to or developed for Openmoko

Yep. Regarding all of these, it'd be good to write down (clearly) what
can be done to improve i18n and l10n of various parts of Openmoko
software.

For example, is currently the right place to submit translations
Openmoko's trac, by filing a bug? Developers should (shouldn't they?)
look at those and incorporate translation when requested?

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Translation_HOWTO is the page to add
information. Anyway, as long as there is no dedicated translation
place anywhere, the main point would be to:
1. List the repositories where source code lies in the wiki
2. File bugs in relevant bug trackers (x, y and z - list them in the
wiki) if gettext infrastructure is not in place / POT files not
generated / PO files not used even if supplied (in case of qtopia
stuff, the Qt Linguist stuff respectively, though I don't about
setting that up)
3. File more bugs with translations attached.

In the long run, we could probably want to organize
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Translation into a bit more coherent
translation groups, and giving repository commit rights to people
trusted in each language.

If Rosetta would be used, please _do not set it up before_:
1. You have restricted people having access to modify translations to
specific translation groups
2. You make sure translation groups have to be applied
language-by-language from administrators
3. No translation group can be joined without approval from the
language group leader(s)

Rosetta is well known to be "too" easy to use, resulting in chaos and
extremely poor translations. When well used, it's a very good (and
easy) tool.

If Rosetta or any other method like http://translatewiki.net/ (known
to be pretty good and even free software unlike Rosetta/Launchpad
currently) would be used, I'd be happy to try to form Finnish (fi)
translation group with at least 1 member :)

-Timo