Compiling epdfview for Om2008.8

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Sun Aug 10 06:06:26 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I am trying to build and install a PDF reader and Epdfview [0] seemed
like a good choice.

Someone has provided an epdfview binary [1], but it does not seem to
work on the om2008.8 stack [2]. So I decided to try and recompile it.

I studied the Toolchain page [3] and managed to build the sample project.

I downloaded the epdfview source [4] and I tried to different naive approaches.

The first was to simply run om-conf  on that source directory. The
second was to follow the instructions on the wiki [5] and modify the
sample project to include the source files from epdfview. Both
methods failed; probably because I need to do something more
complicated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The details:

Method 1:

---------------
sjors at Sjimmie:~/src$ om-conf epdfview
Source directory: /home/sjors/src/epdfview
Extra configure arguments:
automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl at gnu.org>.
AUTOV is 1.10
NOTE: Executing autoreconf --verbose --install --force -I
/home/sjors/src/epdfview/m4/
-I/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
-I /usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
--include=/home/sjors/src/epdfview/m4/
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
--force --warnings=cross
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
--include=/home/sjors/src/epdfview/m4/
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
--force --warnings=cross
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
--warnings=cross
automake: unknown warning category `cross'
Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
FATAL: autoreconf execution failed.
------------------

Method 2:

I copied the contents of the epdfview src directory into the src
directory of the openmoko example project. I was careful not to
override Makefile.am. I merged both versions of Makefile.am (see
attachment).

I then followed the instructions on the wiki to basically replace all
occurences of "openmoko-sample2" with "epdfview":
* the directory name
* src/Makefile.am
* autogen.sh
* configure.ac
* the files in the data folder: Makefile.am, openmoko-sample.png,
openmoko-sample.desktop, Makefile.in

I then proceeded to run om-conf (although I already suspected this
would not work here):
--------------------
sjors at Sjimmie:~/openmoko/src$ om-conf epdfview
Source directory: /home/sjors/openmoko/src/epdfview
Extra configure arguments:
automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl at gnu.org>.
AUTOV is 1.10
NOTE: Executing glib-gettextize --force --copy
Copying file mkinstalldirs
Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
  progtest.m4
from the /aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

NOTE: Executing intltoolize --copy --force --automake
NOTE: Executing autoreconf --verbose --install --force
-I/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
-I /usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --copy --force
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
--force --warnings=cross
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal-1.10
--include=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/share/aclocal
--force --warnings=cross
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
--warnings=cross
automake: unknown warning category `cross'
configure.ac:3: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac:3: installing `./missing'
src/Makefile.am:77: cups_printing does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/Makefile.am:102: bin_PROGRAMS multiply defined in condition TRUE
src/Makefile.am:57: ... `bin_PROGRAMS' previously defined here
src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
src/Makefile.am:59: variable `epdfview_SOURCES' is defined but no
program or
src/Makefile.am:59: library has `epdfview' as canonic name (possible
typo)
src/Makefile.am:71: variable `epdfview_LDADD' is defined but no
program or
src/Makefile.am:71: library has `epdfview' as canonic name (possible
typo)
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
FATAL: autoreconf execution failed.
------------------------

I suspect that the problem is that I need to include more of the
material from the original epdfview source. I only reused the src
directory, but it also has an "m4" and "data" directory and even a
Makefile.am in its root directory. I don't really know how to properly
mix all this material; it's mostly abracadabra at this point, although
I'm learning...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to update the wiki
with whatever I learn.

Kind regards,

Sjors

[0] http://trac.emma-soft.com/epdfview/