BT headset on Qtopia how?

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Tue Aug 12 06:27:12 CEST 2008

Jim Morris wrote:
> Brad Midgley wrote:
>> Jim
>>
>>> It says quote:
>>> "The Handsfree and Headset profiles depend on the Linux btsco kernel module being installed.
>> btsco is not the right way to do this. It's ancient and assumes
>> commodity desktop audio hardware. neo routes bluetooth audio through
>> its dsp directly to the gsm module instead.
>>
>> We may still need help from openmoko on this, but they have bigger
>> fish to fry. I tried using their mixer settings for getting bluetooth
>> from the gsm module but nothing came through. I wrote up a way to try
>> it in the openmoko wiki but it probably needs a total rewrite and a
>> new effort to try it with the latest software.
>>
>> Anyway, the most relevant docs are in
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth#Headset_Audio
>>

> Ok I looked at the availble docs, and I looked at the wolfson page, and the docs
> there.(http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WAN0152.pdf).
>
> Without full schematics showing how the BT chip is connected to the Codec, and without the BT chips
> docs, I cannot proceed. Depending on whether the BT chip puts out PCM or I2S it may or may not work
> according to Wolfson, unless external circuitry has been added.
>
> This worries me because BT has not been tested by Openmoko in this mode, and no one after all this
> time has demonstrated a BT headset working. My conclusion is either I need more info from OM, or it
> won't work, which IMHO makes the phone a brick as I can't use it without a headset.
> I am also worried about the comment in the Wiki about not working in full duplex with BT, again this
> would be useless, Full duplex is essential. Whats the point of a headset that can only listen and
> not speak?
>
> I hope I just need more info from OM, and I hope they will provide it, including schematics and the
> docs for the BT chip set which I could not find on the Wiki.
>
> So to OM Please provide more of the schematics that show (on a freerunner) how the BT chip connects
> to the WM8753, and please provide a link to the BT chips docs. Then I can try to make this work.
>
> Thanks

Ok so that wolfson doc is how to record from the BT headset which probably is not required yet
unless you want to do voice recording. However I still don't see quite how to switch the BT PCM to
GSM and vice versa.

So any help would be appreciated. The alsa.state files with over 100 entries is also quite hard to
use, it would help if the 2 or 3 specific entries of those 100 entries that are required for BT to
GSM could be pointed out.

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com