Messing About with Glamo's 3D Engine

Jorge Luis Zapata turran at openmoko.com
Wed Dec 10 20:16:27 CET 2008

Andreas Pokorny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/12/9 Graeme Gregory <graeme at openmoko.org>:
>> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 21:10 +0000, Thomas White wrote:
>>> A practical DRM module will look very different indeed, but I thought
>>> I'd publish this early to hopefully inspire some of the people who were
>>> initially keen on this project to join in, and to get some extra pairs
>>> of eyes on the way I'm manipulating the hardware.
>>>
>> Excellent progress.
>>
>> I have started to investigate using kernel mode switching for the glamo
>> as I believe that is built on top of the DRM subsystem. I haven't got
>> very far into looking into it yet. But it looks like this would be a
>> good way to make everything consistent (fbdev/xorg/mesa).
>
> I do not have much progress to report. I now have a test image on a
> SD card to make experiments with drm and a new still quite empty
> module for glamo. We have to make modifications to drm and bypass
> all pci related code. Since I also have a checkout of drm/dri/mesa from
> freedesktop.org for the nouveau driver, I discovered that the drm
> module also differs in many parts to what is currently found in andy-tracking.

There are several changes on the drm subsystem being coded on parallel,
i dont know if there's actually a central point of information, for
example there is drm-ttm, drm-gem and kms interaction among others and
all of them developed on different git branches.

Even so im really interested in knowing your future implementation of
the drm part as most of the drivers there are only pci-based devices,
and having this memory manager in kernel with the possibility to
allocate physically contiguous memory from the system memory or
reference memory from the internal glamo memory is a must for correct
co-working between the X user space driver and the kernel; this is going
to be needed for GTA03 too :)

Regards