status of projects.openmoko.org

Marek Lindner marek at openmoko.com
Tue Dec 16 05:03:24 CET 2008

Hi,

as discussed some weeks back Openmoko wants to reduce the time spent on other
things next to the phone. Part of that process is the shutdown of our
projects.openmoko.org server. In the past we spent considerable time and effort
maintaining it. As many people noticed things were not perfect and caused
trouble quite often.

We know some people feel it is the right place to concentrate the code that
runs on the Openmoko platform. The decentral nature of the Internet & the FOSS
community has proven to work well because everybody is focussing on what they
think they can contribute. There are much better project platforms out there.
For Openmoko it does not make sense trying to compete with them.

The next steps look like this:
- The admins already disabled user/project registration and SVN commit access
(existing user still can login/svn can be checked out).
- The server will stay online for the next couple of months to allow all
remaining projects to find a new home.
- After the shutdown we will provide source codes or other data on a request
basis (the admin will keep a full offline backup).

Marek