Fuzzy phone number matching

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jul 16 18:04:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 15.07.2008, 23:20 +0200 schrieb Jay Vaughan:
> > What would be a good way to tackle this issue? Anything else but tell
> > our users always to write +49172..., even when dialing by hand?
>
> Match the phone numbers backwards from right to left instead of left
> to right, and throw away 'whitespace' which would be defined as
> 'anything that isn't a number'.

thx, it’s simlar to what I’m doing already in my openmoko-messages2
patches. My question was rather: Is this the right way to fix it? There
are a lot of places where the comparison of phone numbers happens, down
into evolution-data-server, so I’m wondering if there is consensus that
this is the right way.

Greetings,
Joachim

--