Openmoko Bug #1614: Mediplayer isn't able to play Ogg/Vorbis files

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 16 23:54:41 CEST 2008

I've been looking into this a bit.  Some ogg files are playable,
depending on encoding.  The problem is that the hardware is too slow to
play ogg files back with the default configuration.  It doesn't have a
floating point unit, so things get tricky.

It sounds like pulseaudio shouldn't be using much CPU time at all, at
least according to this thread (which referrs to a different device / os):

http://osdir.com/ml/audio.pulseaudio.general/2007-02/msg00010.html

We probably should figure out what pulseaudio is actually doing, then
look into making it not do that.

I've been trying to figure out where the gst-plugin-vorbisi file's
source code lives for further debugging, but I've been busy and it's
been slow going.  I've managed to find the source code for
gst-plugin-vorbis, but that one uses floating point math, and is slower
than the one shipped on the phone.

Beyond fixing the pulseaudio overhead by getting it to stop doing
software mixing / resampling / ???, there are some other things that
could help:

- tremolo, which is an ARM specific version of tremor.  Tremor is the
integer math ogg implementation shipped by default

- _LOW_ACCURACY_ mode, which seems to corrupt a few lsbs of the signal,
but saves CPU time.

- Double checking compilation options.

-Rusty