How to cannonicate numbers in international form

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 17 19:29:02 CEST 2008

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hmm, I didn???t think of the areaCode, because, as far as I know, everyone
> here always add the areaCode when using a cell phone. Is that different
> in other places?

E.g., in Argentina, Buenos Aires, you usually dial 15-xxxx-xxxx for
mobile phones in the area, not including the area prefix. Worse yet,
to call from abroad (or if you just want to use the fully qualified
number), that number would become +54 9 11 xxxx xxxx, with 54 being
the country code, 11 being the area, and 9 being some strange "this
is a voice call to a mobile phone" selector. If you send an SMS,
you omit the 9.

I'm not sure this numbering plan is the worst you might encounter.
Maybe people have been even more creative elsewhere ;-)

- Werner