Developer's personal GIT repositories, advice on finegrained Git permissions anyone?

John Reese jreese at leetcode.net
Tue Jul 22 17:00:12 CEST 2008

Since I didn't realive this list doesn't appropriately set the reply-to
header, I'm sending this again so *everyone* can see it....  >:(

Joachim Steiger wrote:
 > if someone could advice in a sane way of having finegraned permissions
 > for a git server as we run it (one vm, multiple repos behind one
git-daemon)

Try Gitosis [1].  It makes running Git over SSH simple, and requires
only a single physical user on the host machine.  It then differentiates
"real" users based on SSH key.  It then lets you set up repositories,
and give permissions to only certain users, or groups of users.  For
public read access to the repos, you then just set up a generic
git-daemon.  It's very simple, and automated, and I've been using it on
my servers for about six months now.

 > then we could also discuss hosting git trees for the community.
 > currently we only provide svn (and cvs if it needs to be) for anyone who
 > wants a repo for a project and doesn't have the resources to host it
 > himself.

This would be a great idea.

[1]:
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way