x in om2007.2

Sten Kvamme sten at kvamme.se
Sun Jul 27 15:24:41 CEST 2008

 From my point of view it's all about how many layers of abstraction
I want to have between my app and my screen. X11 is certainly
introducing a fat layer, and so is GTK+. The most extreme case I have
seen is Chuck Moore's Colorforth, where you have no layers at all,
you are dealing with the screen memory directly, there you can talk
about snappy.

Joe Armstrong made that clear to me with his Erlang GUI ex11. The app
is talking to the X11 server without additional layer than X11
itself. Made me realize that X11 isn't that bad, it's all about
layers piling up that is slowing things down.

/S