x in om2007.2

sparky mat max at sparkymat.net
Sun Jul 27 15:38:15 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 13:26 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 27 Juli 2008 09:52:57 schrieb sparky mat:
> > > kinda new here. i noticed that om2007.2 and asu are slower than qtopia
> > > (the one from trolltech, not the x11 port). i presume its partly
> > > because X is being used.
> >
> > It's less a problem of X and more a problem of Gtk+ taking ages to
> (re)draw
> > things on the screen.
>
> It is well known that you don't like GTK+ - fine. But just stop
> spreading your FUD against GTK+:
>
>        a) GTK is quite snappy on the neo1973 (GTA01) thus the problem
>        is not GTK but the limited memory bandwith on the
>        Freerunner/GTA02 due to the glamo chip.

Why is this so (lesser memory bandwidth due to the glamo chip)?

       b) the neod eats up to 60% CPU on the Freerunner (GTA02) because
>        it opens all /dev/input/event* and thus it opens the
>        accelerometers and get 200 interrupts per second - for
>        absolutely nothing.
>
>        But it massively slows down OM2007.2.

I am assuming neod is the "event" handler. So does it do polling or waiting
for events? (Ok, I guess I should prolly start looking at the code :-) )

And unless I am mistaken, isnt this a whole another thread in the mailing
list? I mean, high cpu-usage of neod?