x in om2007.2

Sten Kvamme sten at kvamme.se
Sun Jul 27 18:04:52 CEST 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 16:48 , Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:24:41 +0200 Sten Kvamme <sten at kvamme.se>
> babbled:
>
>>  From my point of view it's all about how many layers of abstraction
>> I want to have between my app and my screen. X11 is certainly
>> introducing a fat layer, and so is GTK+. The most extreme case I have
>> seen is Chuck Moore's Colorforth, where you have no layers at all,
>> you are dealing with the screen memory directly, there you can talk
>> about snappy.
>
> it's not the layers. its what those layers do.
To be a little philosophical here, you are right of course - a layer
is just a metaphor we use when we talk about code that helps us with
pre-defined functionality that - like the facade patern - hides
something or simplifies something.

>> Joe Armstrong made that clear to me with his Erlang GUI ex11. The app
>> is talking to the X11 server without additional layer than X11
>> itself. Made me realize that X11 isn't that bad, it's all about
>> layers piling up that is slowing things down.
>
> it';s not the layers.. its WHAT the layers do.. and HOW they do it.
> look at EFL
> (evas, edje etc.) they have LOTS of layers. eg:
>
> app->etk->edje->evas->state engine->evas engine->xlib->xserver-
> >graphics
> hardware
>
> but every layer there has a purpose.. and does something useful..
> and it's a
> matter of HOW you use the layers that makes a difference.

Well, yes and no. I would say that it's how the layers are programmed
that makes the most difference. Not all code are great. Let me
rephrase my thought: The more code that is executing between your
finger touching the screen and the reaction, the slower it will be.

/S