x in om2007.2

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Jul 29 12:30:58 CEST 2008

sparky mat wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name
> <mailto:tilman at baumann.name>> wrote:
>     X as a screen multiplexer is not too bad. Why bother?
>

> I gathered from this thread that its GTK+ that could use some
> optimizations? Esp. image caching?

Yea, there seems to be room for optimisation. EFL does it supposedly better.
The x11 protocol has some ugly pitfalls.

But i don't think render performance makes such a big difference.
Startup time and overall performance seems more important to me.

I think before we optimize render performance by throwing X away, we
have plenty of opportunities to make big improvements somewhere else
with bigger impact and lesser drawback.