ipkg vs. opkg

kd8ikt kd8ikt at fuse.net
Thu Jul 31 05:15:12 CEST 2008

Lorn Potter wrote:
> Werner Almesberger wrote:
>
>> There's been a brief but heated discussion on one of our internal
>> lists on the change from .ipk to .opk. Let me join the flame fest
>> by 1) dragging this into this more public space, and 2) professing
>> my ignorance:
>>
>> In the discussion it was explained that the file formats .deb,
>> .ipk, and .opk are identical, and that this was just what seems to
>> be a very misguided attempt at name branding. (I only now realize
>> that the "o" in "opkg" was supposed to come from "Openmoko", not
>> "other".)
>>
>> However, I wonder if there are any other differences beyond the
>> mere format. E.g., could systems that use dpkg, ipkg, or opkg
>> actually install .deb, .ipk, or .opk packages (provided that
>> they're built for the respective architecture), or are there
>> other differences beyond just the package format that would cause
>> this to fail or to cause other problems (such as putting invalid
>> metadata into the local package database) ?
>>
>> If .opk is identical to .ipk for all practical purposes, then I
>> don't think this is a good change and it may not be too late to
>> revert it. If we look at, say, RPM-based systems, they all use
>> .rpm and don't try to create arbitrary divisions by using
>> distribution-specific names.
>>
>> I also don't know what is actually the difference between opkg
>> and ipkg. I just thought it's somehow "better" without affecting
>> the core functionality. Could anyone please explain ? I think I
>> may not be the only one confused :-)
>>

> "IPKG" is a trademarked name, and you will have to license it for use from George France. (sorta
> like the Firefox/Ice Weasel issue, but different)
> There is a lot of contention between community members and George France/handhelds.org, one of them
> being this issue.

i think you're mistaken ipkg is licensed under the gpl

 i agree that ipkg should stay ipkg,i read on the wiki someone changed
the name to opkg cause ipkg isnt actively developed? ugh well then wtf
is opkg? a updated/modified version of ipkg for openmoko's needs, i even
went as far as aliasing ipkg to opkg cause its a good embedded pkg
manager and i'm already in the habit of typeing ipkg list  (openwrt).
rename the final bin back to ipkg and dont touch the pkg filetype .ipkg