ipkg vs. opkg

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Thu Jul 31 05:35:17 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Lorn Potter wrote:
>> "IPKG" is a trademarked name, and you will have to license it for use
>> from George France. (sorta like the Firefox/Ice Weasel issue, but
>> different)
>
> Aaah, that crucial piece of information was missing. Now it makes
> sense, thanks a lot !
>
> What's the situation regarding .ipk/.opk ? If this is a general move
> away from the ipk(g) name, then I don't think there's anything wrong
> with us leading the exodus :-)

ipkg is pretty much dead. No one maintains or wants to use it.
Long live opkg!

I will mention that Trolltech created yet another package - qpk. This has a few security
enhancements that some operators seemed to want, such as not running scripts and installing to a
sandboxed area. Only the package manager in Qtopia currently supports it, but in general it is also
an old style itsy package.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company