Calypso firmware update (work in progress)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Nov 16 05:33:57 CET 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:13:41 +0800, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>
wrote:
> Am So  16. November 2008 schrieb Joel Newkirk:
>> Is this firmware update expected to fix the 'bouncing calypso' (bug
> #1024)
>> issue as well?
> Not moko10 yet. We are still investigating this one.
>
>> That's been killing me (either missing phone calls or
>> killing battery, depending on whether software 'fix' is enabled to
> prevent
>> deep sleep) since I received a V6 unit under warranty exchange.
>
> You say you didn't see this problem at all with your previous device, and
> now
> with the replacement it shows all the time?
> Would be a great hint to find more details on this nasty #1024.
> cheers
> jOERG

That's correct.  On V5 hardware (first retail run, ordered from OM store
early July) the GSM was fine.  Since I received V6 hardware after warranty
exchange it loses GSM constantly, missing calls in the process. Apart from
that I've been quite happy with the V6 hardware vis V5 - no SD corrupts,
GPS reliable and swift, dead battery issue gone.  And my understanding is
that the problem stems from firmware, not hardware?

mdbus retrieves: 'revision': '"HW: GTA02BV5, GSM:
gsm_ac_gp_fd_pu_em_cph_ds_vc_cal35_ri_36_amd8_ts0-Moko8"' (although
/proc/cpuinfo lists revision 0360 - why does dbus think it's V5?)

I'm willing for any nondestructive testing that would help.  (no debug
board though, if that matters) Software or firmware or hardware rework.  (I
have access to a Pace IR3000 rework station as well as handheld smd tools)