opkg - adding an offline-path option

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Nov 24 15:47:46 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> I don't think we can totally eliminate root in whole scheme of things,
> at some point we have to mknod even with tar xf and that is a root-only
> job.

Yeah, a bit of root doesn't really hurt. In any case, what I'm looking
for is a way to produce images that don't depend on a specific device.
That way, I can put them on all my devices without caring about what
cards are in them, and I can even distribute them to arbitrary users.

Thus, the privileged stuff is completely separate.

The main limitation of this is that I couldn't produce a "general SD
rootfs" with this approach, which leaves as much space for the user
as the device allows. But then, that's not really something I need at
the moment, and I think scripts like your 6410-partition-sd.sh already
take care of that case.

- Werner