Qtopia on X11 Questions

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 3 05:02:12 CEST 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 21:16:26 Dave Arnold wrote:
> Greetings all,
>

> I am getting started with Qtopia on X11 for the Neo Freerunner.  I have
> followed the instructions described at
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_on_X11, however, when I launch qpe
> from ubuntu I am not getting what I expected.
>

> I was expecting to see an emulation of Qtopia with a standard homescreen
> showing all the main application icons, etc.  What I got in the Xephyr
> window was a very basic screen showing only a simple qwerty keyboard.  I
> can use phonesim to place a call and I can see the call in the Xephyr
> window. Am I doing something wrong?  How can I get the other apps (such as
> clock and calculator) to show up along with the standard icons.  Below is
> the script I am using to launch Qtopia.

Hello Dave,

at Openmoko we use the enlightenment window manager with a special module
called illume. This will provide the launcher, clock, gadgets. So our "qpe"
binary is built in a way that the normal launcher is not shown. These changes
are mostly done in a #ifdef ILLUME_LAUNCHER block throughout the sourcecode.

This should be defined somewhere in devices/ficgta01 (grep) the only thing
that could break is the change to the .pro file in src/server as a lot of was
changed unconditionally (git-log will tell you).

So my environment consists out of:
	- Xephyr
	- enlightenment with the illume profile
	- Qtopia