[Testing Report : 2008.10.09]

Thomas White taw27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 01:16:21 CEST 2008

Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org> wrote:

> In this case your x would be 5s. I don't think that is what wendy
> meant.

In fact, I am indeed observing that this happens randomly after some
time of the phone being switched on.  Until it happens, everything
appears to be perfectly fine.  One time it broke after many hours,
another it was after only a few minutes from the last reboot.

> Interesting:
> 	- /etc/ld.so.conf.d/qtopia.conf lists the Qtopia dirs
> 	- ldconfig gets ran on package install
>        - we have LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/89Qtopia
>
> can you explain to me why all of the above is not enough? Is there
> some special treatment you did to the device?

I'm thoroughly confused as well.  The next time it happens, I'll do some
serious tracing and see if I can find out more.  For now, I can confirm
that all three of the above conditions are satisfied in my system as it
is currently running.  So far, it's happened to me only two or three
times.

No "funny business" has occurred, certainly as regards Qtopia.  This is
a new installation of Testing, flashed barely 72 hours ago.  Fully up to
date with the testing feeds, with only a few extra packages installed.
The only "naughty" things I've done have been to manually install Xterm
from the stable repository (it doesn't appear to be in the testing
one), and to set a coloured prompt and a couple of aliases
in /etc/profile.

I have however been running "opkg update" and "opkg upgrade" quite
frequently (eagerly waiting for the GSM debouncing fixes to come
through). This is the only thing I can think of which could have
altered the linker setup.  However, this certainly doesn't happen every
time (I tried just now).

Very strange indeed...

Tom

--

Thomas White
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy