Weekly Engineering News 39 & 40/2008

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 10 16:21:34 CEST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 18:04:12 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> Marek Lindner wrote:
> > - Openmoko is going to fund freesmartphone.org and treat it as a
> > complement to freedesktop.org. FSO defines an API which makes it easier
> > to develop applications on top of it and provides a reference
> > implementation.
> >
> > [CUT]
> >
> > - One of the major features in the next Openmoko software release
> > (Om2009) will be "FSO-compliant". Meaning that software that builds upon
> > the FSO APIs will be able to run on the next major release.
>
> I knew something about this, but which will be the phone and PIM stack?

I don't know. FSO is primarily API and it comes with a nice sample
implementation. So there would be nothing to prevent a Qtopia implementation
of this API.

Possible scenariois:

1.)
	- Paroli comes and we just provide a way to migrate Qtopia data to FSO
(addressbook, messages)

2.)
	- Qtopia provides FSO API so existing Qtopia apps continue to work and FSO
things will work too, with 1st) users could migrate.
       - As there are no 3rdparty Qtopia apps there are not many arguments to
do so

3.)
      - something else

With Qt Exended some of the buildsystem issues were fixed, so if you build a
Qtopia app in a way where you can easily switch to pure Qt you would be on
the safe side. Qt Extended 4.4.1 we can build a system Qt, provide header
files and the tools...

I would say be prepared to replace the Qtopia usage with FSO. So have proper
abstractions where Qtopia is used so you can switch that to FSO.

z.