Weekly Engineering News 39 & 40/2008

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Sat Oct 11 03:19:10 CEST 2008

Holger Freyther ha scritto:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 18:04:12 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
>> Marek Lindner wrote:
>>> - Openmoko is going to fund freesmartphone.org and treat it as a
>>> complement to freedesktop.org. FSO defines an API which makes it easier
>>> to develop applications on top of it and provides a reference
>>> implementation.
>>>
>>> [CUT]
>>>
>>> - One of the major features in the next Openmoko software release
>>> (Om2009) will be "FSO-compliant". Meaning that software that builds upon
>>> the FSO APIs will be able to run on the next major release.
>> I knew something about this, but which will be the phone and PIM stack?
>
> I don't know. FSO is primarily API and it comes with a nice sample
> implementation. So there would be nothing to prevent a Qtopia implementation
> of this API.
>
> Possible scenariois:
>
> 1.)
> 	- Paroli comes and we just provide a way to migrate Qtopia data to FSO
> (addressbook, messages)

I'm for this one! :)

> I would say be prepared to replace the Qtopia usage with FSO. So have proper
> abstractions where Qtopia is used so you can switch that to FSO.

I do agree... But as said it's very important to provide a compatible
PIM stack (migrating is good but not the best if people would like to
have a dual-boot [multi-boot] keeping its data - I'm doing this actually
between Qtopia and Om2008, and losing it would be bad).

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/