ARMv4 vs ARMv5

Graeme Gregory graeme at openmoko.org
Tue Oct 14 12:58:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 11:52 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi -
>
> At some point we will be working with s3c6410, which is ARMv5 capable as
> well as existing ARMv4 capable.
>
> How is the distro side planning to come at that... are we just going to
> treat it as ARMv4 so we can share packages on all the platforms, or is
> there enough advantage in ARMv5 that we will basically build packages twice?
>
> What's the situation then for people who have an ARMv5 based distro on
> their device for installing ARMv4 packages (which they can run) too?

I thought s3c6410 was armv6 with floating point?

In 99% of cases users wont see much benefit from armv5 vs armv4
packages. Some special cases like mplayer where the new instructions are
used show real benefits.

By default OE will build both armv4 and armv5 packages if you have two
different machines. I'm not sure what we shall do yet, needs some
discussion internally I think.

Graeme