Back to the basics: improving user experience

joakim at verona.se joakim at verona.se
Thu Oct 16 11:11:19 CEST 2008

John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Like Wolfgang said in
> http://n2.nabble.com/Weekly-Engineering-News-41-2008-td1336450.html
>
> We assembled a team to focus on improving the user experience.  Here
> is our todo list at the moment:
>
> * Reduce boot time.
>
> * Optimize the touch screen driver on freerunner for finger usage.
>
> * A generic python loader to enhance the start up time of python
>   scripts.
>
> * Work with system team to improve suspend/resume user experience.
>

> I would like to ask the community:
>
> What do you want us to work on?

My vote is stuff that enables me as a client developer to develop code and
only have myself to blame for bugs.

Here are my desired clients I want to develop:
- Emacs phone services on top of dbus
- touch and accellerometer based gui for nearly blind people
- funky gui that changes every week for teenagers(Ok, I dont really want
to develop this but i'd like to have it)

The Emacs ui would be geared towards myself and wouldnt need to be very
robust. The other ui:s must be completely failsafe. Here battery life
and reliability is essential.

--
Joakim Verona