Android openness, was Re: Android codebase - Patch set #1

Clemens Kirchgatterer clemens at 1541.org
Fri Oct 24 20:19:10 CEST 2008

Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:

> I think our definitions are pretty much the same. I am saying Android
> is open just like Linux. I'm saying that just because Tivo uses Linux
> doesn't mean it has to be completely open. Neither does anyone using
> Android have to have their phone open.

exactly thats the culprit. someone might get an "Android" phone
thinking that its open and he could tinker with as hi likes, just to
find out the vendor locked it down with an cryptographic bootloader and
software killswitch. Android is marketed as an open plattform but this
must be understood as open for the implementor, not neccesarily open for
the enduser.

but of course this depends entierly on the phonevender and has nothing
to do with android on the NEO which can only be a good thing to have.

regards ...
clemens