Testing repository and Openmoko-base-image

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Sun Sep 7 13:54:47 CEST 2008

Julian Chu wrote:
>         As I mentioned before, we did some work on Testing repository.
>         Here is some information for you.
>
>         *) Base Image
>            Right now we provide a base-image (it build from org.om.dev
>            branch withou AUTOREV)

OK, since you stated how Openmoko builds it's images, I once again (for
the first time in months - it's been that long since Openmoko had a sane
build configuration) tried to build an Openmoko image.

I used the following configuration:

1) Git repo site = git.openmoko.org
2) Git repo path = git/openmoko.git
3) Git branch = org.openmoko.dev
4) Bitbake repo path = git/bitbake.bit
5) Bitbake branch = bitbake-om
6) DISTRO = openmoko
7) MACHINE = om-gta01
8) Image = openmoko-base-image
9) Local.conf has autorev commented out (i.e. disabled)

This configuration not only fails to build, but fails to even parse:

> ERROR: '['/home/moko/openembedded/packages/dbus/dbus-native_1.2.1.bb']' RDEPENDS/RRECOMMENDS or otherwise requires the runtime entity 'dbus-native-x11' but it wasn't found in any PACKAGE or RPROVIDES variables
> NOTE: Runtime target 'dbus-native-x11' is unbuildable, removing...
> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['dbus-native-x11']
> NOTE: Runtime target 'om-settings' is unbuildable, removing...
> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['om-settings', 'python-edbus', 'python-dbus', 'dbus-glib', 'dbus-glib-native', 'dbus-native', 'dbus-native-x11']
> NOTE: Runtime target 'task-openmoko-basic' is unbuildable, removing...
> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['task-openmoko-basic', 'om-settings', 'python-edbus', 'python-dbus', 'dbus-glib', 'dbus-glib-native', 'dbus-native', 'dbus-native-x11']
> ERROR: Required build target 'openmoko-base-image' has no buildable providers.
> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['openmoko-base-image', 'task-openmoko-basic', 'om-settings', 'python-edbus', 'python-dbus', 'dbus-glib', 'dbus-glib-native', 'dbus-native', 'dbus-native-x11']
> make: *** [openmoko-base-image] Error 1

I then tried:

7) MACHINE = om-gta02

This configuration also fails to parse with the same error.

I then tried:

3) Git branch = org.openmoko.asu.stable
8) Image = openmoko-asu-image

This configuration actually starts to build, but spits out the following
problems at the start:

> NOTE: preferred version 7.16.4 of curl-native not available (for item curl-native)
> NOTE: preferred version 2.6.1 of glibc not available (for item virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-libc-for-gcc)
> NOTE: preferred version 7.16.4 of curl not available (for item curl)
> NOTE: preferred version 0.16.999.041 of e-wm not available (for item e-wm)
> NOTE: preferred version 7.16.4 of curl not available (for item curl)
> NOTE: preferred version 7.16.4 of curl not available (for item curl-certs)
> NOTE: preferred version 1.0.3 of libx11-native not available (for item virtual/libx11)
> NOTE: preferred version 0.16.999.041 of e-wm not available (for item e-wm)
> NOTE: preferred version 1.0.2 of kbproto-native not available (for item kbproto-native)
> NOTE: preferred version 1.4.1 of inputproto-native not available (for item inputproto-native)
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for opkg (opkg, opkg-nogpg);
> NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_opkg
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/libqte2 (qte-mt-static, qte, qte-mt);
> NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libqte2
> NOTE: Preparing runqueue
> ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/xserver (/home/moko/openembedded/packages/xorg-xserver/xserver-kdrive-glamo_1.3.0.0+git.bb /home/moko/openembedded/packages/xorg-xserver/xserver-kdrive_1.3.0.0.bb).
>  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.

Even if this build completes, it won't match the configuration for the
openmoko-base-image that you stated in your last email, so it won't be
much use to anyone going forward.

Now I consider myself to be reasonably experienced at building
OpenEmbedded images, but the information you are providing about the
openmoko-base-image simply fails to create a buildable configuration.

Can you please confirm items 1 through 9 above, and confirm that
Openmoko is actually able to complete a build of openmoko-base-image
using the configuration information you are providing?

-- Rod Whitby
-- MokoMakefile author