Weekly Engineering News 36/2008

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Sep 11 10:52:31 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> The wildcard is that PMUs will not stay still either in the meanwhile,
> for example they may have EEPROM or internal smarts next time we look
> for one.

Sure, the next generation of PMUs may do everything we need. NXP
even acknowledged that a bit more flexibility (e.g., an EEPROM) is a
desirable feature to have in a future product.

But we also have to recognize that these chips seem to evolve rather
slowly, so being prepared to be flexible on our side is a good idea.

In the time we spent analyzing problems late in the design and trying
to come up with more or less successful work-arounds, we could
probably have made three MPU designs by now :-)

- Werner