[2008.8] TangoGPS/gpsd and suspend/resume

Radek Bartoň blackhex at post.cz
Mon Sep 15 14:51:00 CEST 2008

Dne Monday 15 of September 2008 14:03:11 Cédric Berger napsal(a):

> And I guess turning off GPS during suspend will reset GPS state and
> need another cold restart (since GPS chip has no memory) ? So getting
> a new fix would be long (at best)...
> If so, it is indeed a strong argument not to turn off gps.

If is this case valid, is there a possibility to keep GPS chip running while
CPU will be supended? I need this in case when I'm on a trip recording a
track and I stop in a pub for a few hours and I want to save some power
meanwhile.

I made /etc/apm/resume.d/ script which powers up GPS but I can't test it right
now becase it is too bad wather to get fix here.

BTW: What do you think is the best way to detect that GPS should be powered up
after resume: seach for tangogps process or save GPS state in suspend.d
script to some file (i. e. /var/run/gps_state) and enable GPS accordingly?

Thank Mike for exhaustive explanation.

(Sorry Cédric)

--
Ing. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Department of Computer Graphics and Multimedia
Brno University of Technology

E-mail: blackhex at post.cz
Web: http://blackhex.no-ip.org
Jabber: blackhex at jabber.cz