Weekly Engineering News 37/2008

Jason openmoko at lakedaemon.net
Thu Sep 18 20:51:46 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Harald Welte wrote:
>> This is a common misconception.  Atheros behaves _completely_ different
>> with > regard to their AR5k and AR9k variants (full softmac, and now
>> fully open source drivers, no firmware) and the mobile AR6k chipset.
>
> This means that it's at least not company policy or ignorance that
> causes Atheros to be so closed in this case, which gives us some hope
> that we can find a solution also for AR6k that's more compatible with
> our culture.

Speaking of which, I've been following the threads on madwifi-devel for
the past couple of days [1] regarding the future of madwifi (the
driver).  The main gist of which is that the madwifi driver is an
unmaintainable mess, and anyone who can, should focus efforts on making
ath[59]k better.

They also just announced (literally in the past hour or two) and new
list "madwifi-project" [2] for big picture coordination the drivers,
developers and resources.  It meant to be a more open version of
madwifi-team...

In these threads, I've seen _no_ mention of ar6k...  Perhaps it should
be integrated into the madwifi project effort?

Just another 2 cents.

thx,

Jason.

[1] -