QEMU and SD Card

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 21:34:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

2008/9/21 Andreas Willich <andreas_willich at gmx.at>:
> But I am not able to mount the virtual sd card to get more free space. I
> start qemu with make run-qemu from the MokoMakefile where the -sd
> parameter is already added. When I want to mount the sd card there is no
> mmcblk0p1 under /dev.
>
> When I check info block in the qemu monitor I saw that the
> openmoko-sd.image file is attached to the sd0 device. But there is also
> nothing like sd under /dev.

The sd card should appear under /dev/mmcblk0.  *If* it has partitions,
the first partition would appear as /dev/mmcblk0p1.  It's like with a
new disk, you may want to partition it and format to be able to mount.
 Another prerequisite is that the mmc driver is either built into the
kernel or the module is inserted.

Please check what image is added by MokoMakefile through -sd.  You can
create and format a new image with

$ qemu-img create my-sd.image 200M
Formating 'my-sd.image', fmt=raw, size=204800 kB
$ mkfs.ext3 my-sd.image

and you can mount it with mount /dev/mmcblk0 /mount/point

2GB and bigger cards won't work.

Cheers