ssh via WiFi AND USB

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Tue Sep 23 08:10:26 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 10:57:59PM +0200, Alexander Lehner wrote:

> After upgrading to 2008.8 image, I found out that ssh into the FreeRunner
> over WiFi was not possible any longer, even though FR had a valid WiFi
> connection.
>
> Reason was, that /etc/default/dropbear seems to have changed, and only
> allows access via USB.
>
> This of course makes sense regarding security issues (empty root passwd
> access) but costed me some patience to find out what went wrong.
>
> Solution was to change /etc/default/dropbear from
>
> DROPBEAR_PORT=`ip addr list usb0 | awk 'BEGIN { FS="[ /]+" } /inet ...
>
> into:
>
> DROPBEAR_PORT=22
>
> For experienced users, ssh over WiFi makes sense, so why forbid it?

if we enable it that means we ship a wifi enabled device with sshd
running without root password.  /etc/default/dropbear is a config file
and will not be overwritten during upgrading, so experienced users can
modify it as they like.

a proper solution might be asking the user to enter the password
during the first boot.  I think holger proposed this a while ago.

> Is there already any doc/mailing about this that I didn't see, should I
> make a Wiki entry about this?

That will be great.  There is a trac item, but I didn't see it on
wiki/doc.

Regards,
John