[ALSA] state files separation

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 16:59:39 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt wrote:
> Greetings. Let me know if I'm writing to the wrong list.
>
> About the ALSA state files, is it mandatory that they carry all 94
> controls? Why can't they just change the controls that are effectively
> related to their file names?

I think alsactl needs all the settings because it's just designed to save and
restore specific mixer states.

> If they only changed the controls that are pertinent to a specific
> function, then we could use multiple files at the same time, and would
> minimize interference between different states...

It's not a bad idea, but it needs something different to alsactl as the
purpose is different. It might be a good thing to suggest on the FSO list
though, assuming they don't already have something like this in the roadmap.
I think it needs a daemon to mediate requests by different apps for the mixer
settings they require.